Search This Blog

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Surf Fishing



I know it's winter and everyone is thinking there is nothing to go fishing for, but that's just not true. There still is a lot of local fishing to be had. One of my favorite types of fishing is surf fishing. Winter months is a prime time for this type of fishing and what's really nice about it is that you don't need to pay expensive fishing tackle to do it. If you already own a 7 foot light- medium action outfit then you are ready to start.

I'd suggest you fish with 6-10 pound test line. Sometimes if I'm just doing it for fun I use four pound test line, but if you happen to hook a halibut you're done and you can just say goodbye to that fish.

The biggest tip i can give you is not to cast to far and don't give up thinking there is fish there until you see your bait. I can't tell you how many times I've hooked fish right by my feet. As for as bait you have many choices, ghost shrimp, sand crab and blood worms are all great baits, but I like to fish with grubs. I've had my best luck using the Gulp sand worms, but there are many baits that will wok o you.

Another tip is to just have fun and spend some time fishing different areas, what I'll do is make a cast of two and if I don't get a bite and walk down the beach and little and then cast again, if I do hook a fish I'll stay in that area until the fish move away. If you still have no clue what i'm talking about go to You Tube and check out some of my fishing clips there on surf fishing or go to my website and order my surf fishing DVD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,

I go fishing at the seal beach jettie sometimes since the rock fih season is colsed i was wondering what kind of jig and rigs to use there also waht kind of bait.

Capt. Dan Hernandez said...

if you're only fishing from the rocks then I'd suggest you rig up with either a Carolina Rig or with a fixed sinker on the bottom and a small #6 or #4 hoook up above it. for bait i'd suggest muscles or ghost Shrimp.