Search This Blog

Friday, January 8, 2010

Fishing today with James McDonald of the LA Dodgers

Today I took James McDonald of the LA Dodgers and my fishing buddy Hector out for a day of fishing. We fished aboard my 24' Skeeter bay boat. We started out at Izors Reef where James landed his first ever sand bass. It was a huge fish! He hooked it on a B-52 2oz. bucktail with a whole live squid pinned on. James has done a lot of fishing, but he really hasn't done much saltwater fishing. The skills he's learned freshwater fishing help him today. I had him work his bucktail tight along the bottom as we drifted around different rock piles. He did a great job, not only landing the first fish of the day, but also the largest.

We ended the day fishing the break wall, another type of fishing he had never tried before. James hooked a large calico about five pounds and had it up toward the boat before it wrapped him in the kelp. James sand bass was in the 6-7 pound class. It's very often I get to go fishing with a LA Dodger, but it was great. James grew up in Long Beach, he went to school there too. He told me as a kid he used to watch my TV show with his family.

Tomorrow i'll share a little more about today's awesome day on the water.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow ! What a nice sand bass !